+27 (0)21 633 0010 / 633 0060

52 dwellings destroyed as flames engulf Rylands informal settement

More than 100 people have been left homeless and one man dies after a fire ripped though Cpe Flats informal settlement.

Cape Town fire and rescue spokesperson Theo Layne said the fire started at about 2.32 amand was finally extinguished ar 7.30am yesterday.

“six fire engines, two water tankers and one rescue vehicle (36 firefighters) responded to a fire in Pooke se Bos in Pooke Road in Rylands, where one male sustained fatal burn.”Disaster Risk Managements Center made and assessment and found 52 dwellings were destroyed,leacing 127people affected.

” The Mustadafin Foundation will provide humanitarian relief like hot meals,food parcels and bankets.

” Various City services are on site .Solid Waste is removing fire debrisand informal settlement will issue fire kits to residents to rebuild dwellings. No emergency sheltering has been activated”

One of the survivors, Willem Steenekamp, 43, Said everything happened so fast that he chose his family first, and the his furniture.

” I still cannot believe the whole block burnt out. When I woke up i just saw fire everywher and I took my three children. Everything burned, including my ID , their certificates and all. There was nothing we could  really do. We don’t know hw it started, the fire just spread quicky”

Pooke se Bos community leader MIeta Hofstander said the fire started at the house where the man died and was caused by a candle.