Residents from Pooke se Bos informal settlement in Ryands started the long road to reduild their lives and homes, after a fire swept through the area in the early morning hours of Tuesday August 29.

The fire left one person dead, destroyed 52 shacks and displaced more than 100 people.

Maruwaan Thompson, 29, did not make it out of his shack in time and perished in the fire.

Fire and rescue spokesman Theo Layne,said firefightershad been called out just after 2am and battled the blaze for more than five hours. He said an electric short circuit in one of the homes had causes the fire.

Almost three years ago, the City of Cape Town installed electric cables and prepaid boxes for  althe residents there, at a cost of more than 875 000 (” Pooke se Bos light up Christmas,”Athlone Nwes,December 17, 2014).

Moyor Patricia de Lille officially Switched on the electrcity on December 18, 2014.

When the Athlone News visited the area on Wednesday August 30, City tractors were stil on the scene to level the ground, so that  the residentd could rebuild their homes.

Elizabeth human saidshe and her famiy had lost everything.